Do you need help using the Internet? Take a free online tutorial >
Computers, Devices and Access
Computers with high-speed Internet access and software programs (Open Office suite) are available for the public at both branches during regular library hours.
- You do not need to have a library card to use a workstation. However, users must first register at the circulation desk.
- It is not necessary to reserve in advance.
- Workstations are available on a first come, first serve basis.
- Wireless access on personal devices is also available free at both branches of the library.
- The Library reserves the right to limit or ask users to limit their time on public computers.
- Support and training are available, depending upon availability and expertise of staff. A Community Access Program (CAP) youth intern is sometimes available to offer training and support on an individual basis. Please consult staff for more info.
- Software programs vary depending on computer or branch. Please call your local branch ahead of time if you have any specific needs.
- Users most conform at all times to the library’s Internet Services Policy [PDF].
EARLY LITERACY WORKSTATIONS™ (ELS)
Kids from the ages of 2 to 8 have access to a bilingual early literacy workstation in each library branch. This special computer, which is equipped with a colourful keyboard and LCD screen, offers a full range of English and French educational software programs spanning seven curricular areas that are top rated by Childrens Technology Review.
The ELS makes learning fun, which makes learning effective. There is no need to reserve in advance. Children get special headsets and register at the circulation desk. Staff reserves the right to determine or to limit the amount of time the child can use the workstation.
Are you concerned about your kids and the Internet?
MediaSmarts’ (Canada’s Centre for Digital and Media Literacy) web site resources offers tips to help you manage media at home, maximize the benefits of the Internet for your kids, and minimize the risks they can encounter online.