The Library is pleased to be able to offer a number of services for seniors in our community.
Special Services and Collections
The library carries many services and special collections that might be of interest to seniors.
SPECIAL COLLECTIONS FOR SENIORS @ THE LIBRARY
- Talking Books
- Large Print Books – The collection is constantly renewed but you will not find these titles when you search the online catalogue as they are part of a circulating pool collection.
- Books and magazines on subjects of potential interest to seniors including: retirement, finances, health & wellness, nutrition, leisure activities, arts, consumer issues and travel.
MATERIALS FOR THE VISUALLY IMPAIRED
There is now an easier and faster way to get audiobooks from CELA (Centre for Equitable Library Access) – a service provided formerly by the CNIB Library. You can download them from the CELA website using a service called “Direct to Player“. Please contact library staff to find out how to register.
If you have trouble reading print because of a visual, physical or learning disability, the Library offers lots of ways to read. As a member of CELA (Centre for Equitable Library Access), we offer:
- Books of all kinds for all ages in audio, e-text and braille
- Audiobooks on CD – copies available at the library for print-handicapped patrons. Search the keyword “CNIB” in the online catalogue for a complete list of available titles.
- More than 85,000 books. magazines and newspapers
- Descriptive videos in VHS and DVD
- Braille music scores and audio music instruction CDs
- CNIB Library has partnered with public libraries to make sure children have access to Summer Reading Club books in the format they need. To access alternative format books and to received a free accessible kit, kids must be registered with CNIB Library or CELA.
Contact the Library for more information on these specialized services or to register for CELA services »
HOME OUTREACH SERVICES
The Library provides outreach services including home delivery for persons with disabilities or caregivers who are homebound and have no alternative means of obtaining library materials as well as a monthly mobile collection delivery service to seniors’ residences & apartment buildings.
ASSISTIVE SERVICES & ADAPTIVE TECHNOLOGIES
The library is committed to providing equal access for all members of the community to information, lifelong learning, literacy, and the love of reading. We are happy to provide specialized & assistive services to persons with disabilities.
COMPREHENSIVE ERESOURCES COLLECTIONS @ THE LIBRARY!
eResources are any kind of information that can be viewed, downloaded, transferred or stored to a computer, tablet, laptop or a mobile device. These resources include eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines and Ancestry Library Edition. Your library card gives you access to a variety of digital resources.
We are pleased to provide seniors with ongoing access to computers, training and support.
Computers with high-speed Internet access and software programs (Open Office suite), scanners and printers are available for the public at both branches during regular library hours.
It is not necessary to reserve in advance – workstations are available on a first come, first serve basis. Wireless access on personal devices is also available FREE at both branches of the library.
*NEW SERVICE* iPad lending for seniors
Users 55 years and older are now able to borrow and bring home an iPad or iPad kit (which includes access to a Wi-fi hotspot) for up to 3 weeks. You can use the iPads to connect with loved ones on Facetime, exchange emails, play games and even read books.
All you need to enjoy this new service is a library card!
Users can borrow one of 5 iPads available for loan on a first come, first serve basis (no reservations).
Call or email us (613-445-5331 or email@example.com) to reserve one today!
All iPads come with a detailed user guide and resources like videos and tutorials to help you learn how to use the iPad if you are new to this technology. As services open up, TR Leger in Embrun is going to start offering one on one assistance for those who need hands on help. And as always, library staff will be here to help you.
*This service is made possible by a grant from the program New Horizons for Seniors by Employment and Social Development Canada.
SUPPORT & TRAINING
Support and training are available at the library and depend on the availability and expertise of staff members on duty.
Check the following websites to train online:
- Techboomers Online tutorials on the most popular websites: Facebook, Netflix, etc.
- Skillful Seniors online computer training
- Free online touch typing program
Websites for Seniors
Enhance your leisure, lifestyle and learning! Our information sites for seniors can help you find quality information on anything from planning your next trip to getting help at home.
Or check the Fun and Games section for a little mental recreation!
GENERAL INTEREST WEBSITES
FUN & GAMES
GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS & SERVICES
- A Guide to Programs and Services for Seniors in Ontario
- Aging well: information for seniors (portal)
- Ministry for Seniors and Accessibility
- Seniors Canada Online
- Canada Seniors Partnerships
- Township of Russell
HEALTH & WELLNESS
- Health and Wellness Resource Centre
- Aging & Seniors (Health Canada)
- Canada’s Physical Activity Guide for Older Adults
- Canadian Cancer Society
- Canadian Centre for Activity & Aging
- Canadian Hearing Society
- Healthy Aging
- Heart & Stroke Foundation of Ontario
- Aging and Mental Health (Canadian Mental Health Association)
- Ontario Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse
Senior Safety Line – Call Toll-free: 1-866-299-1011
- The Care Guide
- Community Care Access Centre
- A Place for Mom
- Ontario Community Support Association
- Ontario Association of Non-Profit Homes and Services for Seniors
- Retire Net
ONLINE MAGAZINES FOR SENIORS
- AARP (American Association of Retired Persons)
- Active Adult
- Forever Young News
- Grand Times
- Living Well
- The Senior Times
READING AND WRITING RESOURCES
- Books for Seniors
- Large Print Book Reviews
- 100 Top Retirement Blogs
- Print on Demand Services: Lulu | Cafe Press
- Getting Published in Canada (Writers’ Union of Canada)
- Creative Writing Contests
- The Writers’ Union of Canada
- More Online Reading Resources
And find more reading resources at the library…
RETIREMENT, ESTATE PLANNING AND FINANCES
- Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security
- Canada Benefits – Database of Government Benefit Programs
- Government of Ontario Guaranteed Annual Income System
- Income Tax Tips for Seniors (Revenue Canada)
- Retirement Abroad
- Seniors Canada Retirement Info
- 50plus Travel
- Canadian Snowbird Association
- Disabled Travelers
- Elder Treks
- Senior Tours Canada
- Walking the World
- Wheelchair Accessible Travel Guide
Disclaimer: Neither the Library nor its web designers are liable or responsible for the content of these links or where they are hosted.